Kevin C. Hartzog
for printable version
The "Other" Evolution Movie
- 530 million years ago (mya), was there any living creature alive on
- List the types of tools the paleontologist used to find the fossils
in the burgess shale.
- Dr. Whittington (the guy that kind of looks like a fossil himself)
found a creature he named Opabinia. How did Opabinia use
- List Hallucigenia's traits that protected it.
- During the Cambrian era, approximately how may new species develop?
- Describe how Animalocarus captured its food.
- Why might fins on the side of Animalocarus' legs help it?
- Picaya, the only creature still found today in our oceans since
the Cambrian era, has what special feature?
- In Death Valley, they found fossils of fish that were able to live
in fresh water. Why might it have been hard for saltwater fish to move
into fresh water? HINT: Think about Osmosis!
- What trait allowed the Teraspid fish to survive in fresh water
(water without salt)?
- Why did the backbone develop more after species moved from seawater
to fresh water?
- If it already had gills, why did some fish survive, such as the lungfish's
ancient relative the Eusthenopteron, when its swim bladder (an
organ that helps fish float) mutate into lungs? HINT: Think about the
water they lived in.
- What evolutionary advantage did limbs (legs) give the ancient ancestors
- What trait evolved that allowed Ichtyostega to finally walk